Monday, June 4, 2012

Speaking of covers...



... No, not cover tunes, exactly - - though I'm TOE-dilly looking forward to Cajsa's Dylan cover set tonight - - no, speaking of covers, I just had album cover art on my mind.

I miss it.

Lining the right-hand margin here are a couple of the album cover images to some music I think I'll be playing during my Velvet DJ set tonight.

(7-9pm, SLT, following that Cajsa set)

I imagine I'll also be playing some tunes recorded in this century, never fear - - but these images are facsimiles of the art that appeared on vinyl LP jackets once upon a time. Y'know, real cover art!

Granted, I'm a fogey and I still have attachments to things of the past, my past. 
I love putting together music sets to share with you from my iTunes library, but I still tend to think of mp3 files and even CDs as facsimiles of the music I truly enjoy. It's not so much an audiophile issue, my hang-up isn't about sound quality, and digital files are hugely more convenient in many ways. 

I think really it's just pangs I have every now and then about missing the practice of being able to hold a record sleeve in my hand while I'm listening to the music.
Studying the art, the session info, the liner notes, and reflecting on all of it while the record plays. 

It's an object that's connected to the music. They go together.
So these days, as that tactile experience occurs less often, I find myself obsessing over tracking down these little images of "real" cover art to attach to the mp3 files in my library. (I'll always require something to obsess over)

Seeing the tiny cover image on my laptop is the closest I can get, I suppose, but I keep thinking they look like postage stamps.
(Postage stamps still exist, right?)

Rant accomplished, see you at 
The Velvet!


No comments:

Post a Comment