Friday, February 23, 2018

A little technical support

I’m putting this together because it made me crazy for a week and now that I’ve fixed it, I feel I should share this with others.

I use SAM to broadcast my Friday set at the Velvet. Recently, I had to do a system restore and after installing SAM, I could not get a encoder programmed more than 24 lousy KB/S, mono.



That makes for a really poor quality show. I uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. Tried importing LAME and other mp3 dll’s, but that didn’t do any good.

But then, there’s this wacky setting:



See, my backup broadcasting program is an old copy of Winamp with the DSP plugin, so maybe I should be looking at the DSP on this.



Hurrdurrdurrr...the dsp_sps.dll was unchecked. Once that was in place, I was able to program the encoder correctly for broadcast at the quality I wanted.

Lemme just say, I could not find this advice anywhere online, so I’m posting it for anyone who’s had the same issue. I felt like a dope for not seeing it earlier, but it’s buried in settings I generally don’t dick with. You can see there’s still an error for the dsp_sc.dll, so no idea what’s going on there, but this fix worked for me. It’s important to make sure you do this for the mixer and not any of the inputs (deck A, deck B, etc.).

You can also see I’m working with an old version of SAM here (4.3.6), so not sure how it looks on the newer versions. I've helped a lot of other DJs with setup, so it was embarrassing I was having this problem for as long as I did, but hopefully, this should save someone some heartache in the future (namely, me).

No comments:

Post a Comment