Saturday, January 14, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2011 - Curious

1.Those Dancing Days -  Daydreams and Nightmares 
One of the first CD's of 2011 that really caught my ear.  I was sad to learn just a few months later that this would be their last recording together.

2. Dum Dum Girls  -  Only in Dreams
A good listen from beginning to end. "Bedroom Eyes" and "In My Head" are two stand out songs that will stick with you for a long time.

3. Anna Calvi -  Anna Calvi
"Hailed as "the best thing since Patti Smith" by Brian Eno, as well as being included on the BBC's Sound of 2011 list, the hype surrounding London-born Anna Calvi came to fruition during late 2010." -theguardian

4. TV On The Radio -  Nine Types of Light
I only really started paying attention to these guys after hearing their last release Dear Science and once I heard they had a new album coming out I got excited. I'm just glad it did not disappoint.

5. Gary Clark Jr. - The Bright Lights EP
Who doesn't like a good Blues song now and then. I first got a taste of him via YouTube, check out his videos for "Bright Light" and "Don't Owe You a Thang" know those were recorded live all you can really say is wow!

6. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Belong
"You know that indie kid who would mumble through his bangs and stare at his Doc Martens? The one who came back from winter break with a swagger and a few hickeys? This Brooklyn band has gone through the same transformation — its sound is now massive enough to match its big-hearted emotion." - http://www.rollingstone.com/

7. The Joy Formidable - The Big Roar

8. Elbow -  Build a Rocket Boys!
Another album that really caught my attention after seeing a video on youtube. The video for "Lippy Kids" was supposed shot during one take true or not it really caught my attention and made me take a closer look at the rest of the album.

9. Little Foot Long Foot - Oh Hell
"The combination of it all has resulted in a stellar sophomore release, which keeps any trace of kitsch firmly in check to deliver a set of heavy, catchy, countrified blues rock that keeps them on the upward trajectory they've been cruising for some time." -torontoist.com

10. Weekend - Red
I was a huge shoe gazer fan in the 90 hearing these guys really takes me back. Toss them in with Catherine Wheel, Teenage Fanclub, Lush you just might forget what decade where in.

Singles (A couple more you gotta check out)
Friends - "I'm His Girl"
Daughter - "Love"
Elephant - "Wolf Cry"

-Curious spins Sundays from 7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment