Thursday, January 12, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2011 - Lolo

1. Neotropic - Equestrienne Remixes
Neotropic (Riz Malsen) started as a producer at Ninja Tune working with artists like Talivin Singh and Future Sound of London. Her first album (15 Levels of Magnification) was mostly drum and bass, the second (Mr. Brubaker's Strawberry Alarm-Clock) was experimental, the third (Prochaine Fois) featured found sound and loops. Each time she releases an album, it's a new sound.
Sample (Although “Inch Inch” from her album “White Rabbits” is one of my favorites. )

2. The Orb C batter C
I've been following Alex Patterson of the Orb since the first single ("Little Fluffy Clouds") and got to see him in concert a couple times (first nose-bleed ever! Wooo!). It's been fun to listen to his style change over the years. I still love what he does.

3. Talvin Singh Together
Talvin Singh worked with Future Sound of London before releasing his first solo album, OK. If you like Indian music, you should enjoy this.

4. Bjork Biophillia
I love everything this insane pixie does. Sample

5. Ugress Planet U
When I first heard “Kraken Bossa Nova”, I knew it was vital to my existence to own a copy. The rest of the album has not disappointed me. Sample

6. The Boyd Lee Dunlop Trio Boyd's Blues
Dunlop has been playing the piano for about 80 years and he finally got an album. Here's an excerpt with the story in the description.

7. The Real Tuesday Weld The Last Werewolf
I first fell in love with TRTW when they released I, Lucifer, another concept album that accompanied a Glenn Duncan novel. Here's an example from the newest album.

8. Hugh Laurie - Let Them Talk
Most folk State-side will know him as “House” (or George on Blackadder), but he's also a gifted musician. “You Don't Know My Mind” is a good song for singling along with, drunkenly, at top decibel. Sample

9. Tom Waits - Bad as Me
Dude, it's Tom. Do I really have to say anything? Sample

10. Library of Congress - National Jukebox
The website went live May of this year, filled with recordings that went into the public domain. This is my vote for best music release in 2011. http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

Honorable Mention: Zuill Bailey, Isabel Bayrakdarian, Isaac Albéniz and Enrique Granados The Spanish Masters
I don't have this one yet, but everything I've heard from it is great and the concept is brilliant. Created using technology developed by a North Carolina company called Zenph: historic recordings from wax cylinders or scratchy 78s are recorded into a computer, which then analyzes the pianist's articulation (the timing of notes, how loudly or softly they're played, the attack and release of fingers from the keyboard). The data is then fed into a modern instrument fitted with a special playback mechanism; what amounts to a modern day player piano. Sample 

-Lolo spins Fridays from 9-11

No comments:

Post a Comment