Monday, January 16, 2012

Music for the Revolution

With America celebrating Martin Luther King Day, I thought it would be good time to dust off a playlist I prepared a few years ago to celebrate the graduation of new class of organizers and civil rights activists. I made a few adjustments and additions to fill out two hours for the set and reflect some additions to my own collection, but I maintained the story arc of the playlist as a musical organizing cycle from identifying the issue, organizing the community, making the demands, and winning social change.

In honor of Martin Luther King, I will end the set with the moving performance of Sunday in Savannah at Westbury Music Fair on April 7, 1968, just three days after Dr. King's assassination.

I hope you can come to The Velvet from 5 to 7 p.m. for an exploration of just a tiny portion of the Music for the Revolution.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you were able to fit into the afternoon slot. Take good care of it, Caj. - Aleks

    ReplyDelete