Monday, January 9, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2011 - Lux

1. James Blake: James Blake

2. Toro y Moi: Underneath the Pine

3.  a. Unknown Mortal Orchestra: Unknown Mortal Orchestra
     b. Battles: Gloss Drop
     c. White Denim: D


4.  a. Panda Bear: Tomboy
     b. Bon Iver: Bon Iver
     c. Blasted Canyons: #1
     d. Yuck: Yuck


5.  a. Seasicks Steve: You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks
     b. Lumerians - Transmalinnia
     c. St. Vincent: Strange Mercy

6. The Black Keys: El Camino

7. Future Islands: On the Water

8. Smith Westerns: Dye it Blonde


9. Blitzen Trapper: American Goldwing

10. Brett Detar: Bird in the Tangle


I'm very aware my list may seem 'lop-sided' to some even though I'm undoubtedly sure I nailed my fave, James Blake's self-titled album.

Music is like food to me.  I eat my favourite things over and over again (hummus & pita bread) until wear out my craving. Some of you don't think the idea of eating hummus continuously is appetizing I'm sure, due to it's color and texture...but I think it's good shit. I'm only comparing my love for hummus, not it's seemingly bland characteristics.

So, I 'nom' on the same thing for a while...then I get the itch to try something new or out of my routine and thus comes my mish-mash (mmm, potatos) of other albums.

If you were to ask me in 3 months time for my 'Faves of 2011',
it would probably be significantly different. Again I will reiterate, the top I nailed. It's moody, etheral, enjoyable, unique and an album I will probably always savor, such as Eno's, 'Spider & I'.

Anyway! As you see, my list contains 17 albums. When I started I had a 'top 3' then added, removed, added, re-ranked.

Doing things like this is not fun for me.  I do not have a favourite color...and as I'm typing this, I've decided to re-do my list to something that makes sense TO ME.  My brain is complicated....so enjoy disecting my 'Top 10 of 11'!

-Lux spins Tuesdays from 7-9SLT

No comments:

Post a Comment