Thursday, January 12, 2012

Favorite Albums of 2011 - Moby

I started with a list of about 100 albums, then cut it down to 50, then to 25. I do think my pick for the best album of the year, The Big Roar by The Joy Formidable, is rock solid. But beyond that, the numbers 2 through 10 that I pick today are probably going to be different from the ones I would have picked a week ago or a week from now. Much depends on the mood of the moment.

Basically, I’m picking the albums that I most enjoy listening to. But an added criterion for me is that the album can’t have just a few really good songs; it must have some scope, some depth.

That said, here’s my list:

1. The Big Roar, by The Joy Formidable. 
I must admit that my passion for this album is likely colored by the fact that I witnessed this Welsh (by way of London) three-piece deliver an unforgettable live performance in my town BEFORE I heard the album. I fell in love with them that night, and it surely has influenced my response to the album. I hate to pigeonhole it as “90’s rock,” but that’s probably the closest thing to a label you can attach to it. It’s loud and aggressive, but in an uplifting fashion—and the songs are brilliantly structured, oftentimes delivering multiple climaxes. In addition, frontwoman Ritzy Bryan is one dazzling pixy chick.

2. Strange Behavior, by Screen Vinyl Images. 
This pick may also be the product of bias—in this case, temporal bias. This is a brand-new album, released Dec. 13, and I can’t get enough of it. They’re a noisegaze three-piece from the DC area and they describe their music as “a combination of extremely loud guitars and cold electronics.” There’s a strong Jesus & Mary Chain influence here as well as psychedelia. Very dark and dramatic.

3. West, by Wooden Shjips. 
So maybe the droning darkness of Screen Vinyl Images has influenced my decision to place another dark, droning band in the three slot. In this case, it’s hardcore psychedelia from a San Francisco four-piece that does this stuff better than anyone (including The Black Angels). Solid from start to finish.

4. Eureka, by Mother Mother.
Someday the world will discover this outstanding Vancouver quintet. This is their second album, and, like their first, it features superbly crafted pop tunes built around boy/girl vocal interplays that sometimes sound like conversations. Light-hearted, energetic, inventive.

5. Um, Uh Oh, by Say Hi. 
Eric Elbogen, the former Say Hi to Your Mom, is now Say Hi and he’s really matured into a great songwriter/performer. This is his seventh album and it’s just one solid, hooks-laden tune after another with blues tinges here and there.

6. El Camino, by The Black Keys. 
The Keys are big-time now and so it’s not surprising that this album is slicker than their previous efforts. But is Dan Auerbach constitutionally capable of doing bad work?

7. Believers, by A.A. Bondy. 
Haunting, haunting album that evokes an image of sad wanderers and empty American landscapes. Best listened to with a glass of whiskey.

8. Father, Son, Holy Ghost, by Girls. 
Lead guy Christopher Owens if one of the best songwriters in indie pop. You think of Girls tunes as being kinda sweet and sentimental, but on their new album the songs are more muscular—and even a bit bluesy in a couple of places.

9. What Did You Expect From the Vaccines?, by the Vaccines. 
This is a major-label release (Columbia), but it’s so solid that I’ve got to put it in my top 10. They’re a new British four-piece, having formed in 2010, and they’re quite eclectic, drawing from the early ‘60s, punk, garage, etc.

10. The Wombats Proudly Present…This Modern Glitch by The Wombats. 
Clever, upbeat Britpop at its best. I love bands with a sense of humor and this album makes me smile and laugh.

Finally, 10 more albums that might be on the list on another day when I’m in a different mood:
All at Once, The Airborne Toxic Event
When Animals Stare, The Black Ghosts
Cults, Cults
Sound Kapital, Handsome Furs
Will the Guns Come Out, Hanni El Khatib
The English Riviera, Metronomy
Replicants, Millionyoung
Welcome to Condale, Summer Camp
The Future Will Destroy You, Viva Voce
Forever Today, I’m From Barcelona

-Moby spins Fridays from 7-9

No comments:

Post a Comment