Friday, July 27, 2012

Fri @ 7pm, I begin




Morgan here – posting all late at night due to excitement and lack of time before my set. Technically, this is the day of my set, so I guess it’s fine. 

It’s been nice to watch the new Velvet come together. I’ve been coming to Velvet since the year it first opened, so I am a long time regular of this awesome place. I love how much it has changed and grown. It’s pretty rad – dare I say better than the last one?

Anyway, I have recently been recruited into a DJ staff position and I will be having my debut opening tonight at 7pm sharp. I’m not totally new to DJing as I used to spin at some places. Night Light and No Label. (RIP) My first DJ gig was at Ooh La La. I never planned my sets. I just went with what I felt and let the set take its natural course. I've got quite a few songs queued up right now and am really happy with how this set is turning out.

This is the first time I have ever carefully hand-picked a set prior to spinning. For me, this is a big deal – landing a DJ slot at the very place that has been my refuge for so long. Tonight, I plan to introduce myself with songs that are from the heart, songs that speak to me on a personal level.  I'll play the songs that have been accompanying me on countless bus rides to school and work for the past two years, some new, some old. A lot of you know me through talking to me, but it's about to get a tad more intimate. Funny how we can speak through music whenever our words fail us.



No comments:

Post a Comment