Sunday, April 7, 2013

Six Degrees of Jeff Buckley


Today from 1-3PMSLT I will be continuing my monthly Sunday series Six Degrees. Six Degrees is a play on "six degrees of separation," where I organize my set around connections to a single artist: their influences and followers, covers, label and genre mates, collaborators, and more. I have been doing this since I started at Velvet the first Sunday of every month. So far I have done sets on Elvis Costello, Prince, Morrissey, Queen, Joan Jett, and the Pixies. Today I will slow things down a bit with a focus on one of my favorite singer/songwriters, the late Jeff Buckley.

It is hard to put the majesty of Jeff's music into words so I have included this video. Yes, this song has become a horrible cliche, and the world largely has Jeff to blame/thank for that. But friends, I defy you to listen once again to this version. Truly listen to it. You will end up changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment