Friday, March 23, 2012

Shake Some Action


This Saturday from 1-3 SLT I will spin for the first time at the Velvet. And I want to thank Maht for talking me into doing it, because for ages I didn’t think I had time, but ever since I said I’d do a weekly set, I’ve been ridiculously excited about it.

Expect eclectic from me, in general. This week (after my theme song) I’ll start with a little ancient reggae and wend my way towards some ska, funk, a band combing two nomadic tribes of Niger, another Saharan band from northern Mali, and some bhangra (and curiously, some South Asian bhangraXreggae). But as I was putting my set together, the (roughly) second hour became an unabashed celebration of the musical gods who brought me here. For some of you it will be nostalgia and for others, the best kind of history: artists and bands like Iggy Pop, Patti Smith and Devo. And specifically out of gratitude for my warm welcome at the Velvet, “Pinhead” by the Ramones. But the set has more ins and outs than that, more mini-sets, more twists and turns, so do come along and join me on this two-hour, multi-continent whatever-it-is.

Oh boy. This is going to be SO MUCH FUN! 


photo by Klaus Hiltscher - click here for info






No comments:

Post a Comment