Saturday, February 25, 2012

Car Chase Fever


Music for me has always been more theatre than mechanics.  Not that I am into show tunes (god, no) but I tend to embrace music as a backdrop to an immediate moment, or an emotion felt - even drama unfolding.  As well, movies are the perfect medium in which to display the power of a song as it relates to the visual our senses experience.  It is an olive tapenade coating the perfectly cooked and flakey Halibut; the right scarf paired with an otherwise already splendid outfit - thereby giving it that extra flair of distinctive touch.  Would the last scene of Lost in Translation been as powerful without “Just Like Honey?”

But, let’s face it, for me -being a man - nothing beckons the power of music more than a Car Chase scene.  Fugitives, cops, heroes, villains, and fools all cast in a ballet of muscle and dust, the machinery of emotion at its finest.  Thus, my set this Saturday, my first set in-fact, will be just that, an exploration of what music I would use if I had the dream job of “Car Chase Choreographer.”  Think muscle cars and searing guitars.  Slow motion roll-overs and cliff-jumps cast in the glow of slow-haunting melodies.  Smokey and The Bandit amidst the twang of alt-country.  Every good car chase needs a song…this set will share my vision.

Finally, a list of Car Chase tidbits as I see:

Three Best Songs for a High Speed Car Chase

Police on My Back-The Clash
Love Me-The Cramps
Breathless-Jerry Lee Lewis

Three Cars of Choice for a High Speed Chase

74’ Dodge Charger
68’ Shelby Mustang GT 500
64’ Porsche 356C

Three Best Locations for a High Speed Chase

San Francisco
Any Dirt Road in Mexico
Paris

Three Best Movie Car Chase Scenes

The French Connection
Ronin
Bullitt

Three Essential Things Every Man Needs For a Car Chase

A Good Song
A Full Tank of Gas
A Hot Girl in a Tank-Top, Cut-Off Shorts, and Cowboy Boots.


Hope to see you all for my first ever set on Saturday from 11:00AM – 1:00PM.  I will follow the lovely and talented Frequency Picnic, a set you must join, as well, to make for a perfect early Saturday feast of weekend fun. 









No comments:

Post a Comment