Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Double Decker Tuesdays


So, today I had kind of a crazy idea. As I was looking through my "Recent Purchases" list (all 500 of them), I noticed when I organized by artist that they clumped into groups of 2-3 songs by one artist. So I decided to do 2 of each for today's set. And then I went freaking crazy and stacked in about three hours and 30 minutes worth. See...

I don't buy many albums. A song should stand or fall on its own. Asking me to buy an album and listen to a "gestalt" in order to get the meaning of a track is fairly absurd. If a track needs more explanation, make it 10-15 minutes long. Don't mix up the tracks. I mean, nobody likes the entirety of The Wall by Pink Floyd, just the absolutely most memorable ones.

Are you familiar with the anatomy of a music CD? http://cdn-i.dmdentertainment.com/funpages/cms_content/17075/everyalbum_final.jpg

Basically:
Tracks 1-4: The songs that received a bunch of airplay and made you go out and get it.
Tracks 5-6: Complete and utter crap.
Track 7: To keep you interested
Tracks 8-12: The mediocrity graveyard
Tracks 12-14: Stuff that nobody will ever listen to, which is a shame because it's so awesome.


I suppose that's why I like SomaFM. Even if I wanted to, I never hear more than one track per day from the bands I like. By comparison, I think I heard Helena Beat by Foster the People about 4 or 5 times yesterday on local alt-radio.

I mean, really.


No comments:

Post a Comment